Before you apply, check our admission requirements and technical standards for becoming a physician assistant. Admissions deadlines are:
Application Deadline is December 1
We anticipate our first cohort will begin in January 2023
CASPA recommends submitting all required materials at least four (4) weeks prior to any PA Program deadline. All applications must be verified by the application deadline.
Who Should Apply
What are we looking for in a student? Besides a love of medicine and a desire to provide health care with compassion and empathy to patients of diverse ethnic, cultural, and religious backgrounds, you should be comfortable with the concept of the PA as a member of the healthcare team, a role that demands intelligence, sound judgment, intellectual honesty, and the ability to relate to people.
Applicants to the MS Physician Assistant Program must, by the time of enrollment, have completed a baccalaureate degree that includes specific prerequisite coursework.
Some factors to consider:
- The intense 28-month, 7-semester professional, graduate-level program requires personal as well as financial sacrifices and demands a high degree of self-sufficiency and well-developed study skills.
- The rigorous nature of the program precludes maintaining outside employment. Due to the formidable challenge the PA program presents both in the didactic and clinical years, we highly recommend students not work while enrolled in the PA program. The success of each candidate is often directly related to their ability to focus solely on their commitment to their studies.
- During the clinical phase, students must be adaptable to variations in scheduling, location of clinical sites, and scope of responsibilities.
- The profession necessitates working with those who are ill and interacting effectively and cooperatively with doctors, nurses, and other members of the health care team.
- All students must complete the same coursework throughout the 28 months of the program, even if you already took similar courses.
- Advanced placement is not granted for the Illinois PA program. All students must complete the full curriculum as delineated in its entirety. Please contact the Admissions department with any questions.
Ready to become a physician assistant? Review our admissions requirements first. Once you've gathered everything you need, applications are made through CASPA.
General Questions? Contact:
Office of Admissions